Dr. Joseph A. Catanzano III, DDS offers dental crowns to patients in Washington, D.C. This restorative dental option benefits patients with missing, discolored, or weakened teeth. Dental crowns can stabilize your dental health and provide a natural-looking result. With proper dental care, dental crowns can last patients for up to 15 years. Washington DC dentist Dr. Joseph Catanzano places dental crowns to address your unique needs in the comfort of our office.
If you have missing teeth, broken or chipped teeth, or large dental fillings, you could be a good candidate for dental crowns. However, patients who grind or clench their teeth should receive bruxism treatment before receiving dental crowns.
Why Receive a Dental Crown?
Dental crowns are used to:
- Protect a weak tooth from breaking
- Cover misshapen teeth
- Hold together parts of a cracked tooth
- Restore worn teeth
- Cover discolored teeth
- Cover and support a tooth with a large filling
- Hold a dental bridge in place
- Cap a dental implant
Types of Dental Crowns
Dental crowns can be fabricated out of a variety of materials, including:
- Stainless steel: Patients of all ages can benefit from this economical option. Stainless steel rarely chips or breaks.
- Porcelain Ceramic: For an aesthetically pleasing look, patients can benefit reflective porcelain dental crowns. This option is also great for patients with metal allergies.
- Zirconium: This option provides a crystalline look and is not susceptible to cracking.
- Gold and Metal Alloy: Metal is strong against wear and can take pressure from biting and chewing. Metal crowns are also great for molars as they are in the back of the mouth and not as noticeable.
- Porcelain Fused to Metal: This option provides all of the benefits of porcelain and metal crowns. They are durable and blend in with teeth.
Dental Crown Treatment
To begin treatment, Dr. Catanzano will remove a bit of the tooth’s structure to ensure that the dental crown will fit securely. Then, he will take a dental mold of the tooth. Several weeks after the dental impressions are made, the permanent crown will be ready. The dental crown that you receive may be color-matched to teeth, depending on whether you chose a restoration with metal, porcelain, ceramic, or another type of material.
Contact Our Dentist Office to Request a Dental Exam
You can call Foxhall Smiles today at 202.315.2188 or request an appointment with Dr. Catanzano and his dental care team online anytime.